HR and Payroll have come a long way in recent years. But go into many payroll offices, and you’ll still find the team processing data in the same way they always have. It is hard to believe that as we approach 2020, many businesses still rely on paper forms, spreadsheets and e-mails, but that is exactly how many still operate!
If anyone can benefit from the advances in technology, it is HR and Payroll Teams. A clear example of this is employee self-service whereby, in the simplest of terms, employees submit data for themselves, directly into the HR/Payroll system.
Still filling out paper timesheets and then keying these into the payroll system?
Or transferring the paper timesheet data to spreadsheets and importing spreadsheet?
Perhaps you rely heavily on e-mails to collate data?
With self-service, instead of completing a paper timesheet, the employee keys their timesheet in to the HR or Payroll system.
This can be approved by a manager before being included automatically within the next pay run. However many companies have now removed the manager authorisation stage as well to speed up this process even further.
No more paper holiday requests and waiting to get a paper authorisation! Employees enter their absence requests online and can get immediate approval from their line manager.
Emails and paper with address, bank details changes are no more as with employee self-service, the employee enters their data directly to the HR/Payroll system.
The above are just a few examples of how processes can become streamlined with employee self-service, but what are the benefits?
- The time savings for the HR/Payroll office are enormous
- Less chance of data breaches (the e-mails and paper no longer exist)
- Cut down on error - data is being entered direct from employee. No middle person to collate timesheet data/enter bank details incorrectly.
- Employees validate the data they enter.
- Reduction of queries – employees can see their payslip build up long before pay day. So any irregularities can be fixed before the final pay run.
- Ease of Access – an employee can view/enter data at any time. Gone are the days of waiting until Monday to submit that forgotten timesheet!
So, why are many of us still relying on paper, emails and spreadsheets? These tasks, which can be time consuming, become much more efficient by taking the leap through upgrading systems and processes to enable self-service. Or better still, take all of the hassle away by outsourcing to a professional provider who can do it all for you.
HR and Payroll have come a long way in recent years. But go into many payroll offices, and you’ll still find the team processing data in the same way they always have.
By Katy Christiansen, Payroll Senior Manager.
To find out more about Katy and the Payroll Team, click here.